Minky Rag Quilt

I had a baby shower to go to last weekend and decided that I wanted to try something new. Something that I had “pinned” while I was searching for quilt patterns. I followed this tutorial from this lovely blog called SewSara. I did everything according to the instructions except altering the numbers of squares I needed of each color to create the pattern of the quilt. I also added a layer of polar fleece in the middle to add some warmth. Once it was washed the blanket was so cozy and I was so tempted to keep it for myself, well my baby girl. I have to say this was a pretty easy sewing project. The blanket took me about four evenings after my girls were in bed. Two of those nights were just snipping until my hands had enough! I think that it is an easy go to baby gift and perfect for some of those bigger scraps you may have in your fabric stash! (Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the back, it was checker board white minky with the circle bumps and smooth baby pink minky)

SDP-20120303-44

SDP-20120303-45

Oh and I also bought some new flowers and made my girls a bunch of new clips! Elena finally has enough hair to be clipped! It only took her a year and a bit.

SDP-20120305-51

5 comments:

SewSara said...
March 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Oh I love how your quilt turned out ... great colors! They are SO cozy huh? Thanks for the comment on my blog and thanks for linking to my tutorial :)

xo
Sara

Kat said...
March 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM

My sister made me a quilt like this out of flannel and I love it..

Carleigh said...
April 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Hi there! found this via pinterest :) I was wondering how much fabric you used of each pattern. I love this version of a minky rag quilt. also, what size squares did you use and how big was your end result?

Samantha said...
April 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Hey Carleigh I am not too sure if you are going to get this comment or not but I just followed the tutorial that I linked to in the post it self. I used fabric scraps out of my stash but would guess at about 1/4 of a yard each. I cut 5" squares. I forgot to measure mine but the original tutorial says 34" by 34". Hope that was some help.Have fun!

Anonymous said...
September 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Super cute! I found you via the comment you left on SewSara. I love the quilt, but I'm wondering how much seam allowance you had? So, if you cut a 5" square, did you do a 1/2" seam allowance on each side making it a 4" square once finished? Thanks :)

Leave a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit my little blog! Your comments make my day :)

Back to Home Back to Top Making Life Prettier. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.