My Little Designer

Shortly after Miss L. broke her arm she designed a quilt on paper and brought it to me asking if we could make it for her Rapunzel stuffy. At first I hesitated since I did not have the fabrics she wanted but I decided that I didn’t want to crush her enthusiasm. (I may have been feeling sorry for her since she had broken her arm) Needless to say we did a little shopping at Pink Castle Fabrics. She wanted Yellow and Purple with a yellow bird on the purple side and a purple bird on the yellow side. We found the perfect yellow and purple combo fabric! Beechwood Park by Jenean Morrison

Here is her design:

2013-05-25

She was thrilled when her fabric arrived. She and I planned a little bit more then I told her that I would make her birds after she went to bed. I paper pieced them using this pattern.  The next morning the birds were done and we cut the rest of the pieces for the quilt top and she helped sew the seams by pressing the presser foot.

Apparently there were some things that I did not see the way she did but in the end she was happy.

Again after she went to bed I quilted it. I tried some Free Motion Quilting Loops. My stitches are far from prefect but she is four she doesn’t care. I also attached the binding by machine with a zig zag going around the quilt twice. This way was  just quicker and I knew she wouldn’t have the patience for me to hand sew it for her. Although I suppose it would have been a good learning experience for her.

I hope we continue to have projects to work on together. The final touch was button eyes for the birds. (There are two birds the yellow one is kinda hard to see since she wanted them both to have purple little flower wings. I wanted to sew this little bird all yellow but this was not my project)

Here is the final Mommy and Me Mini Quilt. She is pretty happy with it! Btw her cast comes off soon too. Yay!

And some close ups:

Final size is approx. 16.5” by 16.75” 

linking to finish it up friday at crazy mom quilts and Ellison Lane’s Modern Mini Challenge.

17 comments:

Simon Says Sew said...
June 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

What a lucky little girl and very patient mom :)

Heidi Staples said...
June 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

So darling, Samantha! My oldest daughter got that same Rapunzel doll for her birthday last year and has loved it so much!

Sherry said...
June 14, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Certainly a very special time with your daughter. And the results are charming.

Laura C @ littleandlots said...
June 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM

So cute! I know fabric shopping always makes ME feel better, good to train them early. I love the little birdies in opposite colors. And I love that she totally looks like she loves it.

DeborahGun said...
June 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM

very cute. I just did some sewing with my boys too, and they loved it.

Paula said...
June 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM

So precious! She is a very good designer!

Ida said...
June 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Uber -cute!! I love it.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...
June 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM

A wonderful design and such a sweet doll quilt :)

Anonymous said...
June 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Oh so cute! What a wonderful idea - my daughter would LOVE to do something like this!

Anonymous said...
June 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM

What a beautiful quilt. I love it - I love the fabrics she picked out and I love the design. She did a great job!

Sara said...
June 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Aww you are a VERY good mama! She is beaming with her new birdie quilt! Cute quilt!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...
June 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

what a precious doll quilt, and it's fantastic that your daughter took part in the design process. love it!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...
June 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Super cute mini but precious little girl. :) Thanks for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Good luck!

Jenean said...
June 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Oh my gosh, this is so cute!!! Makes me so happy!

Leave a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit my little blog! Your comments make my day :)

Back to Home Back to Top Making Life Prettier. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.